bishopstone

bishopstone
our home in the bush

garden man

garden man
Just to sit a while and enjoy

Thursday, September 3, 2015

where does my time go?

 I have been working away at this applique quilt for the past year. I bought the kit from the craft fair from a local lady Hugs and Kisses.  I think I have done well getting this far in my first quilt. I have re found my love of hand sewing. But I still have a long way to go before it is finished so spinning and knitting will have to wait.
And then I have been doing some natural dyeing with the four o'clock flower.( I think it is mirabilis jalapa) The leaves were given to me from the medieval garden housed at our botanical gardens. This was one of the early dyes used in England which had been brought back from south America, Peru I think. I had read a PHD paper written on the subject but I was very disappointed as I was hoping for a nice pink colour. From the left I used no mordant, next three had alum and the last two had copper. the far right is a mix of native Tasmanian plants I had thrown together from left over pots. The alum wool did not take at all even though the water was looking strong. Maybe I will have another go next time the plants are pruned.

No comments: