bishopstone

bishopstone
our home in the bush

garden man

garden man
Just to sit a while and enjoy

Monday, November 15, 2010

Delicious Death for Agatha Christie

 

As an avid fan of Agatha Christie's I decided to make the Delicious Death cake which was created to celebrate her 120th birthday. Even though I am not much of a cook I thought this would be a good tribute to the master of crime that the whole family could enjoy.
I have been working my way through the poirot tv series, in chronological order, even though my family think me a little strange but you have to start at the beginning ang and then move forward. Most of these I had seen before and even more of them I have read but I just love the whole world within a world in these stories. Next I will have to move on to the Miss Marples.( I secretly would like to become Miss Marple, visiting wonderful english vilages, knitting and solving crimes). But back to the cake.Here are the raisins and glace cherries simmering in orangs juice( decided not to go for the brandy option so the children would like the taste)

 

#3 child took this photo of the finished cake and I thought I would use it as he told me his photo was better than mine. The recipe had said to cut the cake in two and put the fruit inside but after cooling the cake it was obvious when I started cutting that it would not stay in one piece and was very crumbly, so I put the fruit ontop, as you do. I dont know why it was so crumbly, any suggestions are very welcome.

 

Here is another photo of the cake, and its chocolate topping.

 

As you can see we managed to finish most of the cake, and luckily no one has died,yet. It was fun to make but not the type of cake I would make again. I found it very rich and far too sweet for me, even if the children managed to have seconds.
So thankyou Agatha Christie for all that you have contributed to the world, I know you have given me hours and hours of enjoyement in my life.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

2paw said...

I didn't know about that cake, I shall have to google it. It looks fabulous. No idea why it is crumbly.
I agree with you, watching from the very start. I would have loved to be in Miss Marple or Poirot land too, though not as a corpse. A little piece of old world paradise!!

Rowena said...

Yummy yummy!! Looks fantastic! I reckon we all need to start at the beginning and work to the end LOL.

Barbara said...

Looks like you did a good job even though you think you are not a good cook. The children certainly thought so.

Kestrel said...

That looks absolutely delicious - as I too am a flagrant Christie fan I might just have to give it a go! Have you read any Margery Allingham?