bishopstone

bishopstone
our home in the bush

garden man

garden man
Just to sit a while and enjoy

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ross wool centre

While in Ross for our spinning day I just had to pop into the wool centre. I was totally amazed by the longest wool staples. The longest was around 63cm( if I remember correctly). Not a bad effort.

While in the centre I was trying to increase my knowledge of micron count in wool fibres. This is basically the diameter of individual strands of fleece. Here in Tasmania we are very lucky to have some of the finest merino wool in the world. I must say I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the finest of these wool, but I will keep trying to learn.

With so many wonderful fleeces to feel and learn from I really wish I had better paddocks at our place so I could have more, and varied sheep. All for spinning. I will keep dreaming.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

2paw said...

Oh, I have never been there, it's fabulous. I love the long wool. I remember I used to send away for Wool Project packs from somewhere. It had wool samples.