bishopstone

bishopstone
our home in the bush

garden man

garden man
Just to sit a while and enjoy

Monday, September 26, 2011

bicheno weekend

I have just spent a lovely, relaxing weekend at the beautiful seaside village of bicheno. It was the Hand Weavers and Spinners Guild of Tasmanias annual weekend. There were about 50 ladies and a handful of men. There was lots of spinning, knitting and lots of talking and laughing going on. I always love to see what others have been doing and making. It is always so inspiring.

The theme this year was socks. I did the sock blank workshop. The wonderful Vicky and Sheree took this and I would like to to say a huge thankyou to them for all their hard work in making the blanks. Mine is on the right, my mum's on the left. The theory with mine is that I should get a row of black and then a row of colour when I knit my socks up. I have started and am really pleased to say it has worked. The blank is 120 stitches wide and 185 rows long. Then I used an old patons sock pattern that uses 60 stitches. I am happy to say it works for me. But as all knitters have slightly different tension it may be different for others. Iwould like to try a blank 240 stitches wide and get two rows of black, two rows of colour. I will post photos when I have knitted some more of my sock.

Here are some of the socks people brought along to share. The variety was amazing.

I also did a little workshop run by Kim. These are fibre swap cards. Kim is in a group where they do a monthly swap with hand made cards. The range was huge. Mine is second from the right on the bottom row.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

2paw said...

I heard them talking on the ABC radio on Sunday about the weekend. Love your sock blanks!! Glad yours worked so well!!

Barbara said...

Looks like everyone was very industrious. Socks look fun.