bishopstone

bishopstone
our home in the bush

garden man

garden man
Just to sit a while and enjoy

Thursday, September 8, 2011

threatened species day

Yesterday was threatened species day. #3 child and I went to the site of the old Beaumaris zoo in hobart where 75 years ago the last know Tasmanian tiger, or Thylacine, died. The state was in the grip of economic crisis and unfortunabtely the animals at the zoo were low on the list when it came to help. The tiger was left outside for its last night, having to deal with the cold hobart weather along with starvation. I am sad that I never got a chance to see a real Tassie tiger but I have met people who have heard and seen then many years ago.
I have just finished reading Tiger in the bush by Nan Chauncy. This book is about a young boy and the secret he tries to keep about the almost extinct tiger. I loved the book as it took me back to my childhood years spent out in the Tassie bush. I must read for anyone interested in Tasmania, the bush of the plight of the tiger.



Lets hope the eastern barred bandicoot,the green and gold frog, the tassie devil, wedge tailed eagle, forty spotted pardolote and the hooded plover do not follow the same path as the tiger.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

2paw said...

I believe (hope fervently) that they are not extinct and just hiding. I love your Thylacine, it is our city's logo animal!! I hope they save the Devil.